Lump On A Log

"Imagine sitting on a log in the middle of the ocean. 
You have to try to get to a pier, or you'll just be a lump on a log. 
This is how life essentially is.
If we don't do anything we won't get anywhere.
We need to constantly search for a pier to get up on. 
We don't know which pier would be the right one and we will never even reach some of them.
These piers we see around us aren't even all the choices. 

Okay, now that we've gotten onto a pier, we still need to wait for a boat to come by and pick us up.
We don't know what kind of boat will come. 
We don't know when the boat will come. 
We don't know how many will come.
We also don't know which one is the right one to get onto.

Life is about constantly making choices. 
We don't know where some of these choices will lead us.
But if we don't make any choice, we will just be a lump on a log. 
No one can predict where these boats will take us, but we just have to keep moving on.

It's really not fair when they throw you into the university and then ask, 'What are you going to be?'

Will what you think you want to be really be what you become?

This is how society functions. 

You make choices, there are consequences, and we can't predict what will happen.

Either just being a lump on a log or getting onto a boat to the unknown is your choice."

My Anthro professor used this analogy today during lecture. I really like it.

I feel like I'm that lump on the log. Not willing to make any choices or try to get towards a pier,
I feel like so many of them are just out of my reach.
What if I'm heading towards one that I will never reach?
Even if I do reach one, okay now what?
Can I even decide if I want to stay at this pier? Which boat should I get on, if any?
If I don't get on now, would there be other chances?
Where would each boat lead to?
Will I be happy at the destination?
But if I never take the first step to even get on, thinking of these questions would be useless.

Is it better to regret after you have done it or regret about never having done it?




Comments