Shakespeare's Women: Virgins to Villains
I went to an event sponsored by the Illuminations project.
It was at the Claire Trevor Theatre in the school of the arts area.
I didn't feel like walking all the way over there so I took the bus.
I went in and there were mostly older people with some students in the back rows.
I sat somewhere in the middle. Might be blurry still but I can see the stage props at least.
The actress was very funny, inspiring, and witty.
She wrote the script herself. It was a one woman show.
I thought it could be boring, but I was entertained the whole time.
It was about her life story told through the different roles she has played in Shakespeare's plays.
Her life..was very dynamic? There were great times and there were some depressing times.
Two failed marriages and many years wasted not knowing what she really wanted to do in life.
There was this part where she decided to go back into theater and took this class where they were discussing Shakespeare's plays. This one play I forgot the name of was apparently a "play that doesn't know what it wants to be."
"She told the class
'This play is a failed play. It doesn't know what it wants to be.'
and I thought 'I'm a failed play, I don't know what I want to be' then she continued
'None of the characters are who they're supposed to be.' and I thought
'My life is not how it's supposed to be.' and then I realized I'm not doing what I really want."
She's been through a lot trying to figure out what it is that she really wants to do. She even had to go through therapy.
The therapist asked when she was the happiest and it was when she did plays in high school.
She did find her true place, her happiness. She's still doing theater right now acting in Shakespeare's plays.
I thought I could relate to her as had that epiphany when comparing her life to that "failed play."
But she has already known acting was her thing since she did it in high school before her first marriage.
What do I know? Nothing.
When was I the happiest? I don't know.
I don't know if I'm truly happy or just forcing myself to be happy that it just feels natural.
Life will go on no matter how I'm feeling. Might as well live it happily right?
But what is true happiness?
Is it the feeling I get when I watch a drama? Watching my idols? Being with my friends? Family? Being alone?
But those can't be my jobs can they.
It was at the Claire Trevor Theatre in the school of the arts area.
I didn't feel like walking all the way over there so I took the bus.
I went in and there were mostly older people with some students in the back rows.
I sat somewhere in the middle. Might be blurry still but I can see the stage props at least.
The actress was very funny, inspiring, and witty.
She wrote the script herself. It was a one woman show.
I thought it could be boring, but I was entertained the whole time.
It was about her life story told through the different roles she has played in Shakespeare's plays.
Her life..was very dynamic? There were great times and there were some depressing times.
Two failed marriages and many years wasted not knowing what she really wanted to do in life.
There was this part where she decided to go back into theater and took this class where they were discussing Shakespeare's plays. This one play I forgot the name of was apparently a "play that doesn't know what it wants to be."
"She told the class
'This play is a failed play. It doesn't know what it wants to be.'
and I thought 'I'm a failed play, I don't know what I want to be' then she continued
'None of the characters are who they're supposed to be.' and I thought
'My life is not how it's supposed to be.' and then I realized I'm not doing what I really want."
She's been through a lot trying to figure out what it is that she really wants to do. She even had to go through therapy.
The therapist asked when she was the happiest and it was when she did plays in high school.
She did find her true place, her happiness. She's still doing theater right now acting in Shakespeare's plays.
I thought I could relate to her as had that epiphany when comparing her life to that "failed play."
But she has already known acting was her thing since she did it in high school before her first marriage.
What do I know? Nothing.
When was I the happiest? I don't know.
I don't know if I'm truly happy or just forcing myself to be happy that it just feels natural.
Life will go on no matter how I'm feeling. Might as well live it happily right?
But what is true happiness?
Is it the feeling I get when I watch a drama? Watching my idols? Being with my friends? Family? Being alone?
But those can't be my jobs can they.
Comments